The dog days of summer time are officially here Dolphins fans. We had the World Cup to pay attention too, which was great, but that is coming to an end soon. However, it is almost time for training camp and as a Dolphins fan, I cannot remember a year where there were more intriguing camp battles than this year. Let’s take a look at the 5 most intriguing training camp battles:
1. The Back-Up Quarterback Position: David Fales vs. Brock Osweiler – For me, all eyes are on Brock Osweiler. There is no denying the fact that Brock has made a fool of himself, since leaving Denver for the Houston Texans. The experiment did not work in Houston, nor did it work in Cleveland or in Denver once more. It feels like Miami is giving him his last shot, and the real question is, can our QB whisperer (Adam Gase) garner any more magic out of Brock? Prediction: Brock Osweiler falls apart, and Fales win the job.
2. The 6th Wide Receiver Position: Leonte Carroo vs. Isiah Ford– Carroo has done nothing but disappoints since becoming a Miami Dolphin. He was selected as a 3rd round pick and only has 10 receptions totaling less than 100 yards. However, being a former 3rd round pick, the team is going to do all that they can to see if he can put it all together. Isaiah Ford, a 7th round selection, showed a lot of promise (before coming down with a knee injury). Prediction: Ford runs Carroo off of the field, earns a roster spot, and the Dolphins cut Carroo.
3. The Tight End Position: Mike Gesicki vs. ______ (insert name here)*– This seems like Mike Gesicki will be the starting tight end, with not much competition. However, I do look forward to seeing what else the team has in store at the tight end position. How much does the team expect to use Durham Smythe (2018 draft pick out of Notre Dame)? The organization acquired AJ Derby last season, but the question is, how does he fit in with the roster? Personally, I have always liked MarQueis Gray. I believe he adds a unique skill set to the team, and he could be used in certain situations. Prediction: Gesicki is the starting Tight End, Smythe becomes Anthony Fasano 2.0, and Gray makes at least 3 big plays throughout the year.
4. The Defensive Tackle Position: Davon Godchaux vs. Jordan Phillips– Jordan Phillips has to be one of the three most frustrating players on our roster. He has so much talent, yet, has not put it all together. If he can find it in him to consistently put forth 110% effort, the sky is the limit for this kid. Then, there is Godchaux. In 2017, he came out of nowhere to make himself a household name. Can we expect another jump from him in Year 2? I understand Akeem Spence will get time as well, but the battle between these 2, will be fascinating to see who can get the edge on the other and be on the field more. Prediction: Toss Up
5. The Linebacker Position: Jerome Baker vs. Stephone Anthony vs. Mike Hull – This position battle is the most vital. For years, the Dolphins have been too slow at this position. With the drafting of Jerome Baker, I hope we can finally put that to bed. This can absolutely fly, but is he big enough? Can he withstand the punishment of an entire NFL season? The Dolphins Stephone Anthony last season, and with a full off-season under his belt, can be become a contributing factor for the defense? Mike Hull is the epitome of a “ try hard “ guy. He works his tail off but has always seemed to just not be good enough. I include him in this group because he is good enough to be in the mix, but as a fan, I am hoping one of the other two rises to the top. Prediction: Along with Raekwon McMillan and Kiko Alonso, Jermome Baker wins a starting job.
What do you think will be the hot training camp battle Dolphin Fans? Have a great weekend, and as always, GO FINS!!!